The State of Employment in The Solar Power Industry 2010
As of the end of August 2010:
• There are 93,502 solar workers in the United States, roughly double the
number estimated for 2009.
• Solar job growth over the next 12 months is anticipated to be 26%,
representing nearly 24,000 net new jobs. This expected growth rate is
significantly higher than the U.S. economy-wide expectation of 2% growth
over the same period.
• Nearly half of all firms expect their solar revenue to increase as a percentage
of their overall revenue over the next year.
• Over half of all solar employers expect to increase their number of solar jobs
in the next 12 months, while only 2% anticipate reducing solar staff.
• Solar jobs exist in all 50 states.
• Employers from all of the studied subsectors expect significant employment
growth over the next 12 months.
• The average solar installation firm employs 8 solar workers.
• The average solar manufacturing firm employs 24 solar workers.
• The average solar wholesale trade company employs four solar workers.
• The average utility that generates solar electric power employs four solar workers.
*** 2010 National Solar Jobs Census courtesy of The Solar Foundation.